O'day 192 Pages
Boyd Home Page
- O'Day 192 Home
- 2014 Work
- Sailing 2013
- 2012-2013 Work Season
- Sailing 2012
- Projects 2012
- Sailing 2011
- 2011/2012 Work Journal
- 2010/11 Work Journal
- Sailing 2010
- Projects 2010
- Checklists for trailering and sailing
- Raising the Mast

Sailing Log - O'Day 192 in 2010

September 18, 2010

This was the first sail with the new boat. My neighbor Bo went along. We went up and down the lake three times. Perfect weather and no problems. We had the boat heeled over quite a lot several times. I'm not sure that heeled over equates to going fast. I'm still working on that.

I also missed having the wisker pole to run down wind. I have to look into that. The boom vang cleat is almost worthless. Its just a little angle slit built into the block. This boom vang definitely need to be replace with something better. With the sheet attaching to the boom at the very end, rather than the center as it did on the S2, the boom vang seems to be more important.

October 10, 2010

Connie and I intended to go sailing yesterday evening, but the boat motor wouldn't start. Actually it started and ran for about 30 seconds and then stopped and wouldn't start again. I checked the spark plug and it was giving a good spark. It seemed that it wasn't getting any fuel. The wind had died down anyway so we gave it up and went home.

Ed taking care of business with the carb
Today I went back the boat with a can of starting fluid and sure enough, the motor would run on starting fluid but as soon as that was burned up it would stop. So I knew it wasn't getting any fuel. I pulled the fuel hose of at the carburetor and there was a good stream of fuel when I pumped the fuel hose bulb. So I figured it wasn't getting any fuel in the float bowl or it would have at least started with the choke on. Even if the main jet is plugged and engine will run (not run good but run) with the choke on. So my guess was that the float valve somehow was stuck closed or plugged.

I had invited Ed Ramsey to go sailing and he was going to meet me about 3PM. It was now almost 3 and I was trying to decide what to do. I felt pretty sure that I'd have the take the carb apart to solve the problem. Should I try to go sailing without and engine, or go ahead and try to get the carb off, or just bag the whole day and drag the motor home to work on it. About that time Ed called and I explained the situation and he said, "I'll be there in about 15 minutes and we'll see what we can do." I said, "I invited you to sailing, I didn't intend for you to work on a motor." He said, "I'll be there in 15 minutes."

I decided, I had to take the carb off sooner or later so I might as well get started while I was waiting for Ed. We could decide what to do when he got there.

About the time I got the carb off, Ed arrived. He had with him some tools, rags, choke cleaner and a coffee can. I didn't ask him what he wanted to do, I knew what we were going to do. He started taking the carb apart right away. I noticed the coffee can and said, "You even brought a coffee can. I think you might have done this a time or two." He said, "I couldn't remember how many times."

Ed quickly had the float bowl off and we noticed very little fuel dripped out. While he was cleaning the float bowl, I blipped the float and float valve and it made a little pip and a small spritz of fuel popped out of It. It was just has I had guessed, the float valve was stuck closed.

In short order Ed had completely cleaned ever port on the carb and was putting it back together.

I put it back on the motor. I was confident enough it was going to run that I went ahead and put the air baffle back on. Sure enough, the engine started on the second pull. Nice work Ed!

The sailing was great. The wind was brisk and we sailed for a couple of hours and enjoyed the nimble little boat. At least it seems little in the way it handles but looking inside the cabin, it seems fairly spacious.

It was great to finally go sailing with the sailing guru!

October 23, 2010

I took advantage of good weather today and brought the boat home. I got it out of the water, brought the mast down and brought it home all by myself. I really didn't have any problems. Their was a bit of breeze blowing across the boat ramp, but I got her docked and tied off OK, and then used a long rope to pull her onto the trailer. It all went just like I knew what I was doing. Ha!.

So now she's in the garage. The mast prop on the stern was too long to allow her to fit into the garage. I don't know why the pervious owner made it so long. I got a board to hold the mast at a little lower position and it fit in the garage easily.

I think if I hang the mast from the ceiling diagonally, I'll be able to close the garage door. Super!

I just need to get some hooks to screw into the rafters to hang the mast and I'll be in business.

It took a couple hours to get it washed up and there is still lots of cleaning to do. The cockpit has lots of black mold so I need to work more on that with Fantastik or 409. The bottom cleaned up really well. I'm totally impressed with Interlux 17vc which is what it was coated with.

November 21, 2010

This is about as close to sailing as I get at this time of the year. Matthew & I were "messing about in the boat" today. We're thinking about camping out over night. Not sure If I'm up to that or not. I guess it would be a good test for next summer.