October 2020 Vacation
Oct 21st through 26th
had a ten day vacation planning for March, and then wamo! the Chinese virus hit. We cancelled that, and set slogged through months of adjustments. So by October, we were very ready to get away.
- Wednesday, October 21 - Drove down Route 23 through
Kentucky to Johnson City, TN. Stopped at Natural Tunnel State Park in Virginia
- Thursday, October 22 - Drove over to Gatlinburgh,
TN, and spent the whole day going over to Cades Cove in the
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP).
- Friday, Oct 23 - Drove into GSMNP and saw some sights, going over Cherokee, North Carolina. Went to the Comedy Barn in Pigeon Forge, TN after dinner.
- Saturday Oct 24 - Drove to Looking Glass Falls in the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina. Then to Chimney Rock State Park in Chimney Rock, NC, then to Black Mountain, then to Ashville, NC
- Sunday Oct 25 - Drove to Oxford, Ohio to see Noelle (and her parents).
- Monday Oct 26 - Drove home
Chinese Virus: We were anxious to go on vacation because we hadn't had one in a while. We cancelled our vacation that was planned back in March because of the virus and we were anxious to have some time get away in the great outdoors. It turns out that there were a whole lot of other folks who had the same view. So while you might expect folks to stay away from crowds, quite the opposite happened. We had the same view. We're here, we want to see it, we'll try to keep an assured clear distance and go about having our vacation.
Here's the trip summary from the dashboard. On the way down on the first day, the mileage was up to 34+ with the average speed over 56 mph. That was driving on Route 23 which is almost all four lane, but not limited access, so the speed limit ranges from 55 - 65. I don't know that it ever gets up to 70 mph, not to say that we didn't. The car loves to go down the highway.
We didn't plan this trip very well.
I've gotten to the stage in life, where I don't really care about seeing and doing a lot of things. If we see something, fine, If we don't, I don't really care. If we just drive around in the car, that's fine with me. If we laid around in the hotel, that would be fine too. But I don't think we were on the same page in that regard, and so we didn't enjoy the time away as much as we could have.